Hopedale Trash & Recycle
Effective July 1, 2022
Collection & Information
- Carts must be placed at curbside before 7:00 AM on your collection day.
- All household garbage must be in bags.
- All single stream recycling should be free and loose in the cart
- Cart lids need to be closed and the arrows facing towards the street.
- Carts should be placed on the right-hand side of the road on all back downs and one ways.
- Carts need to placed at least three feet apart and free of any obstructions including but not limited to mailboxes and cars.
The Board of Health is also looking into the use of special trash bags, which can be used for overage if a resident's trash does not all fit into the trash tote; or if someone wishes to use the special trash bag instead of the trash tote. These bags will not be free; the cost of the bag and the locations where they can be purchased is yet to be determined.
E. L. Harvey and Sons, Inc. of Westborough, MA has been contracted to collect curbside collection of refuse, recyclable materials effective July 1, 2022.
E.L Harvey has given the Town 64-gallon trash containers and 96-gallon recycling containers. These containers are the property of E.L. Harvey and will be maintained/replaced by E.L. Harvey. These containers must be used for all collections.
All solid waste must be placed in the new E.L. Harvey 64-gallon trash container. All trash must be bagged; no loose trash in container. Solid waste will not be collected from any other (non-E.L. Harvey) container. Trash must be out by 7:00 a.m.
The Board of Health will be providing information soon regarding special trash bags for the overage of solid waste.
All recyclables must be placed in the new E.L. Harvey 96-gallon recycling container. Recyclables will not be collected from any other (non E.L. Harvey) container.
Recycling collection will be EVERY WEEK. Recycling will be “single stream,” which means all paper, plastic, cardboard, metal food containers, and glass bottles can be in one container. Recycling must be out by 7:00 a.m.
* Do not place plastic bottles or cans in regular trash; please recycle.
* Cut up or flatten all cardboard boxes to 2'x2' before placing in recycle bin.
The only holidays that collection will be delayed one day are:
Bulk item collection must be arranged ahead of time by calling E. L. Harvey and Sons, Inc. at 800-321-3002. The fee for the collection of any bulk item is paid directly to E.L. Harvey. Residents may also contact a private company for the removal of bulk items.
Reasons for Non-Collection
If any item is declared “unacceptable” by the driver, a non-compliance sticker will be placed on the item. In such case, the resident must call E. L. Harvey for an explanation.
It can be difficult to predict how an impending storm will affect safety and road conditions for collection. As soon as a delay has been determined, a notice will be placed on the town’s website (www.hopedale-ma.gov) and E.L. Harvey’s website (www.elharvey.com).
During winter conditions, if your trash and recycle is already at curbside and collection has been delayed, bring it back in or away from the curb so plows will not cover it over or drive over it.
If there is a delay in collection due to a holiday or inclement weather, collection will take place the next day.
If you experience a missed collection, contact E. L. Harvey at 800-321-3002. All trucks will have GPS and cameras so any missed collection can easily be identified.
1. Cut up or flatten all cardboard boxes to 2'x2' or 3'x3' before placing in recycle bin.
2. Do not place plastic bottle or cans in regular trash; please recycle.
Please watch for more information to come, which will be sent via mail and up on the website.
Any questions, please call E.L. Harvey customer service at 508-836-3000 or Hopedale Board of Health at 508-634-2203 ext. 222.